Deliciously smoky, sweet, and chewy, this Baked BBQ Tofu is super easy to make and is delicious alongside any meal & great topper for salad, pasta, & more.
- 1 16-oz block (about 396g) extra or super firm tofu OR firm tofu that’s been pressed (see note 1)
- 1 cup vegan BBQ sauce, divided (use my recipe or purchase prepared) + more for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C). First, slice or cube your tofu into desired shape and size. Lay tofu pieces next to each other in a rimmed baking dish. Use a basting brush to add the barbeque sauce in a THICK layer (you can also use a spoon or spatula). Then flip over each piece and add more BBQ sauce, using about 1/2 cup total in this step.
- Next, cover and bake your tofu for about 20 minutes. When the 20 minutes are up, baste on another layer of BBQ sauce, flip tofu pieces carefully (I like to use a cookie spatula, and add a layer of sauce to that side too, using the other 1/2 cup.
- Now bake it uncovered for 20 minutes, cooking the tofu for 40 minutes total. I find this is the right amount of time to get the texture I like, but cook it for as long or short as you need to get the texture you like. Let the tofu cool for a moment before removing from the pan and serving with extra BBQ sauce!
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheating in anything other than a microwave recommended for better texture. Air fryer, toaster oven, oven, or pan on the stove will produce a better texture, whereas a microwave will simply warm it up.
- Note 1: You want super dry tofu for this recipe, so it can absorb all that delicious BBQ flavor. I cheat and use Extra Firm or Super Firm tofu, which is super dense and chewy. You can get the same effect by pressing firm tofu. I like this tofu press and not just because it has my first two initials on it. But two plates or cutting boards and a heavy object will work too.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, BBQ Baked Tofu