This juicy, tender, satisfying Beyond Meat Meatloaf is beyond delicious. This meatloaf is the perfect family dinner.
Beyond Meat Meatloaf
- 2 lbs (906g) Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Plant Based Ground (see note 1)
- 1 small white or sweet onion, finely diced (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ketchup or tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium gluten-free tamari (see note 2)
- 2 tablespoons Just Egg (or another egg replacer, see note 3)
- 1 cup gluten-free or regular bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (see note 4)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, ketchup, or anything (see note 5)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius) and line a 1 pound loaf pan with a long strip of parchment paper so that you have two long flaps--this helps you remove the beyond meat loaf when it’s cooked. You can also spray the inside with a little bit of oil spray to help the parchment stay put and it to grease the two small sides that won’t be lined with parchment.
- Mix the wet ingredients: So, first you want to mix all your wet ingredients together including the Beyond Meat (NOT the glaze). Add the parsley now while you’re at it. You may need to use your hands to get it all well incorporated.
- Mix in the dry ingredients: Add the dry ingredients and mix well again. The mixture should clump together when you squeeze it with your fist. It should be moist, but not really wet, but not dry either. Adjust if needed.
- Add to pan: Add the entire mixture to the loaf tin, pressing and packing it as firmly as possible into the tin. Trust me, you want to pack this quite firmly. All of it will fit.
- Add the glaze: Use a spoon or spatula to add the glaze on top in a thick layer.
- Before you bake: Make sure to place the loaf tin on top of another larger baking tray. There WILL be grease bubbling over and escaping the tin, and you don’t want it to drip onto your oven floor. My oven started smoking the first time I tested this recipe because I had never experienced that before! You can line the bottom tray with aluminum foil for easy clean up if you’d like.
- Bake: Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, then carefully (using oven mitts), wrap the top edge loosely with foil and place back in the oven. Bake for 25 more minutes.
- Serve: Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes. Then pull the tabs gently to lift the beyond meat meatloaf out of the tin and place on a cutting board or plate and serve.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 4-5 days in an airtight container or freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Freezes well.
- Note 1: You’ll need 2 pounds of this product to fill a 1lb loaf pan. Other similar products should work just fine, including Impossible meat, Incogmeato, Lightlife, etc. Just use the same amount--and defrost any frozen products (as long as the packaging does not indicate that that is unsafe for the product in question).
- Note 2: This also flavors and moistens the mixture. If you’re gluten-free, use gluten-free tamari. If you’re soy-free, try No Soy or Coconut Aminos. Alternatively, you can just use salt and a little extra ketchup or tomato puree.
- Note 3: I tested a few different egg binders with this recipe and I prefer Just Egg. However, flax eggs, chia eggs, and Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer also worked for me.
- Note 4: The nutritional yeast is primarily for flavor but a little bit for texture too. Nutritional yeast helps bind the beyond meatloaf together. It won’t make the flavor cheesy, instead it just adds a little more savory flavor to the dish. Don’t skip unless you really hate nutritional yeast--in that case, be ready to add a little bit more of the breadcrumbs if the mixture is too wet.
- Note 5: For the glaze, I used my homemade vegan BBQ sauce, though I added a bit of organic light brown sugar when I was making it this time. YUM. Other options include ketchup or the tomato based sauce I used for my Mushroom Lentil Loaf.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Can Be Soy-free, Beyond meat meatloaf, beyond meatloaf