These easy vegan Portobello Mushroom Steaks are juicy and meaty, but totally meat-free and healthy! Marinated and oven-baked, my mushroom steaks are perfect along side any vegetable or grain.
Vegan, Oil-free, Gluten-free, Nut-free, can be soy-free
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 6 tbsp low sodium gluten-free tamari (or soy sauce if not GF)
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place mushrooms upside down on a lined baking dish.
- Mix up the marinade and pour 1/4 of the mixture over the mushrooms' undersides. Use your fingers or a basting brush to rub it in a bit.
- Let the mushrooms sit marinating for 10 -15 minutes. Turn them over (so now they're right side up), score the top with a knife, and add a little more marinade (about 1/4 more of the mixture).
- Put the mushrooms in the oven for 15 minutes. Pull them out, flip them once more, and add the remaining liquid. You can also use a spoon to grab any excess liquid in the pan and baste the mushrooms with it. It's too delicious to go to waste!
- Cook for 15 more minutes, then remove from oven. Let them rest to soak up the juices for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Vegan
Keywords: Vegan, Oil-free, Gluten-free, Nut-free, can be soy-free, Portobello Mushroom, mushroom steaks