These coconut almond butter cookies make for a sweet plant-based treat with no added oils! Mix, bake and enjoy. Then try not to eat them! Vegan, Plant-based, Oil-free, Gluten-free
- 3/4 cup almond butter (see note 1)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (see note 2)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (see note 2)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 3/4 cup 1:1 gluten-free flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut, optional (see note 3)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F or 165 degrees C. Line 2 half-sheet or 1 full sheet baking tray with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a medium to large bowl. Mix well, then add the dry ingredients by sprinkling them over the top. Use your spatula to mix by running the edge of it around the batter in the bowl, folding in the dry before mixing. I find this technique helps me to not over mix (which can cause flat cookies).
- Using a tablespoon or a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, scoop out the batter onto your lined baking trays, leaving at least 2 inches of room around each cookie as they will spread a bit. I can fit about 12 cookies per half-sheet baking tray. If the edges of the unbaked cookies are not uniform, gently swirl a finger around the edges of each cookie to make it a more uniform circle.
- Place your trays in the oven at the same time and bake for 18-22 minutes. I find that 20 minutes is the sweet spot (hah) for me. 22 minutes results in a somewhat crispy edge, which you can do if you prefer. The cookies may appear to be not done at this point. You're looking for somewhat of a stiff edge. (Don't poke the center of the cookie, just lightly touch the outer edge.) They will stabilize as they cool.
- Store remaining cookies in an airtight container for up to a week--they stay soft and chewy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan, Cookies
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Soy-Free, almond butter cookies, gluten-free