Delicious Vegan Beef and Broccoli is savory, satisfying, and family friendly. Skip the takeout and make this delectable yet healthy dish in less than 30 minutes.
- 16 oz extra firm tofu (see note 1), diced into 1" cubes
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium tamari + 1 tbsp water
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 1.5 tsp ginger, minced (to taste)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, for garnish
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Toss the tofu cubes in 1 tablespoon of tamari / soy sauce + 1 tablespoon of water (mixed) before cooking them.
- If air frying: air fry the tofu at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius) for 20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
- If baking: preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius) and bake your tofu on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper lined baking tray for about 35-40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the tofu is cooking, you can make your rice. I like this dish best served over fluffy white rice, but you could use brown rice, quinoa, or anything else you like. I would recommend waiting until the tofu is about 10 minutes from done before starting the sauce and the broccoli.
- Start your sauce by sauteing your minced garlic and ginger in a large pot over medium high heat. Add little splashes of water when it starts to stick, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Whisk the arrowroot powder or cornstarch and half a cup of water together until the powder has dissolved. Then add the rest of the sauce ingredients except for the other 1.5 cups of water. Add the sauce ingredients to the pot and stir constantly for about 30 seconds or until the sauce becomes very thick. Turn the heat down to medium. Now add the 1.5 cups of water, stir it in well, add your broccoli and mix it around so all the broccoli is coated with the sauce. Cover and cook it over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Now take the tofu out of the air fryer or oven and carefully add it to the broccoli and sauce mixture. Stir it around gently so as to incorporate everything without breaking the tofu. Cook uncovered until everything is well incorporated, the broccoli is cooked to your liking, and the sauce is thickened to your desired consistency, about 2-3 more minutes (or reduce heat and simmer a little longer if you like your broccoli really soft).
- Serve the vegan beef and broccoli over your rice or grain of choice, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and enjoy! Refrigerate leftover tofu and broccoli in an airtight container (separate from rice) for up to 5 days.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: air fryer oven, stove
- Cuisine: Chinese, Vegan
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, Nut-free, Chinese, Vegan Beef and Broccoli