This creamy, refreshing, and delicious Vegan Chicken Salad is a quick and easy meal you can make for yourself, your family, or barbecue.
- 1 batch vegan shredded chicken (see note 1 for substitutions)
- 1 rib celery (or sub other veggies, see note 2)
- 2 green onions (see note 3)
- 1 cup red grapes, optional
- 3-4 tbsp fresh herbs (we used chives and dill)
- 2-3 tbsp sliced almonds or use pepitas or sunflower seeds if nut-free)
- 1 cup vegan mayo (homemade or store bought)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard, to taste
- 1 tsp agave syrup (or any sweetener), to taste
- greens (I like butter lettuce or green leaf)
- Chill vegan chicken: First, if you’re making my vegan shredded chicken out of jackfruit, you’ll want to cool it down after cooking. Cool it so it’s not hot to the touch--I usually just throw mine in a bowl or container and put it in the freezer while I chop up my other ingredients.
- Note: If using a different vegan chicken replacement (see the What You’ll Need section in the article above for ideas on substitutions) prepare it first.
- Chop veggies: Finely slice your green onions and celery (if using) (I like to halve lengthwise and then finely slice). If you’re using red or green grapes, halve or quarter them depending on the size and your preference. Also finely chop your fresh dill and chives, if using. Mix in a medium bowl.
- Mix dressing: In a small bowl or jar, mix the vegan mayo, mustard, and agave (or sweetener of choice). You can add a little salt if you like, but since I make my own vegan mayo, it was already salted to my preference.
- Combine: Fold the vegan mayo mixture (just fold it in! Kidding.) into the vegan chicken and veggies/fruit mixture until well combined. It’s like stirring, but trying not to mush anything. Add your herbs and sliced almonds or pumpkin seeds / sunflower seeds (if using) and mix again.
- Chill out then eat: Chill for at least 20-30 minutes for the best taste (but it’s not required) and serve on a sandwich, with greens, or just a spoon/fork. Add freshly cracked black pepper if you’d like. Enjoy!
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Note 1: Here’s a few substitutions if you can’t find or don’t want to use jackfruit: chickpeas (mash lightly with a fork), soy curls (rehydrate with water or vegan chicken broth), seitan chicken chunks, or store bought vegan chicken alternative.
- Note 2: I like celery in my vegan chicken salad because of the crunch, but you can leave it off or substitute another veggie (like bell pepper, carrots, or broccoli) if you hate celery.
- Note 3: Or use red onion if you wish, for a nice bite.
- Note 4: I make my own tofu mayo that takes about 2 minutes in the blender and it’s also nut and oil-free. It’s customizable too. But store bought vegan mayo will also work!
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Combine
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Oil-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Can Be Sugar-Free, Vegan Chicken Salad