My Vegan Chik'n Teriyaki with Oyster Mushrooms and Brussels Sprouts is a great way to enjoy takeout without having to pick up a phone!
Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, Nut-free, can be Soy-free
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 3-4 cups oyster mushrooms
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium tamari (or soy sauce if not g/f) (or liquid aminos if soy-free)
- 4 green onions, sliced, optional
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, optional
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium tamari (or soy sauce if not g/f) (or liquid aminos if soy-free)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (or more, to taste)
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar (or sub brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp corn starch + 1/4 cup water
- Put on a large pot of water to boil. Trim woody ends off of washed Brussels sprouts and slice in half lengthwise. Remove outer leaves and add to a bowl. When all Brussels are ready, add them to the pot of boiling water and boil 2-4 min. depending on the size of your Brussels (I had very small Brussels so I did 2 minutes).
- Strain Brussels and add them back to the pot. Cook them over medium high heat for 3 minutes, letting them get a little browned in the pan. If they start to stick, add a little bit of the tamari / soy sauce / liquid aminos to the pan.
- If making your own teriyaki sauce, prepare it now. Add all ingredients except corn starch and 1/4 cup water to a medium sauce pan and heat on medium high for one minute. Dissolve the corn starch in the remaining water and add to the pan. Lower heat to medium and cook 5-7 minutes, until thickened.
- While teriyaki is cooking, add the oyster mushrooms and garlic to the pan with the Brussels and cook down for 6-8 min over medium heat.
- Add teriyaki sauce to the main pot and stir well. Let cook 3-4 more minutes.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with green onion, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes, if using. Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, Nut-free, Chinese, Teriyaki, Mushrooms