Rich, moist, and classic with a twist, this delicious pound cake is the perfect texture and totally vegan and oil-free! This recipe is super easy but it looks fancy enough to bring to a potluck or serve at a holiday party. The color is perfect for spring, too. Vegan, Oil-free, Nut-free, Soy-free, can be Gluten-free
- 2 cups all purpose flour (sub. 1:1 gluten-free flour if needed)
- 2 tbsp matcha powder
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2/3 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/2 - 1 tsp matcha powder, to taste
- 1 - 2 tbsp unsweetened nondairy milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F or 177 degrees C.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to your nondairy milk, letting it curdle for about 5 minutes -- it will separate, but just whisk it back together when you're ready to use it.
- Prepare your loaf pan. Either use a little coconut cream to grease the pan (rub it with your fingers, kind of like shortening) or take a piece of parchment paper and line the longer end of the inside of the pan, leaving tabs sticking up (as shown in my lentil quinoa loaf recipe).
- Cream together the sugar and coconut cream with a hand mixer or a stand mixer. You can also just use a wooden spoon, but it is easier with a mixer. Add the non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar mixer now.
- Now add the dry ingredients: sifted flour, baking powder, salt, and matcha powder. Stir until everything is just combined and transfer your batter into your loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 - 55 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 177 degrees Celsius, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes, then run a butter knife around the inside edges of the pan. Carefully flip the cake upside down onto a cooling rack. Once outside the pan, flip it once more so it's right side up and let it cool completely before glazing.
- Once the cake is cooled, mix together the ingredients for the glaze. I would sift the powdered sugar, too.
- Add the nondairy milk just a little a time--it's very easy for the glaze to get too thin.
- Transfer the cake to a large plate or piece of parchment to catch spills. Pour it over the cake and let it set before slicing. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- If you do not want to use matcha and you just want to make a simple pound cake, you can omit the matcha from the recipe but also reduce the nondairy milk by 2 tablespoons (so you would just use 1 cup nondairy milk) and it will turn out perfectly -- I've tested this. Also, if you want to make a non-matcha glaze, omit the matcha powder and add an extra teaspoon of powdered sugar to that part of the recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Snack
Keywords: Vegan, Oil-free, Nut-free, Soy-free, Cake, Matcha, Green Tea