This super delicious Vegan Mug Cookie will become your new go to sweet treat. This 3 minute microwave vegan cookie is the perfect dessert.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted vegan butter or coconut oil (see note 1 for substitutions)
- 1 tablespoon organic brown sugar (see note 2)
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar (see note 2)
- 1/2 tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 1 tablespoon water (see note 3)
- 1/4 OR 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, to taste
- A tiny pinch of salt (less than 1/8 teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (see note 4)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- Note about the mug: Any size mug will work fine but a big mug won’t look as cute… but that will not affect the flavor. I used a small but wider 8 ounce mug so the mixture would rise and spread nicely for photos. It’s hard to take photos in a big mug because of the shadows. However, all the times I tested this recipe it was in a big mug (and I also tested it in a ramekin a few times), and that will work just fine! Gives you more room for vegan ice cream anyway :D
- Prepare your vegan egg replacer: I use Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer so I simply mix ½ tablespoon of the powder with 1 tablespoon of room temperature or cold water (do NOT use hot water or it can firm up too much) in a small bowl and set aside. I like to use a tiny whisk to ensure there are no clumps.
- Melt vegan butter: Start by placing your vegan butter or coconut oil in your mug or ramekin and microwave for 20-45 seconds or until fully melted.
- Add the brown sugar and cane sugar and stir well with a tiny whisk, fork, or small spatula.
- Add the vanilla extract, egg replacer, and salt and stir once more.
- Now add the flour and use a small spatula to gently stir until all the flour is incorporated.
- Add chocolate: It wouldn’t be a vegan mug chocolate chip cookie without this step! Finally, fold in 1 or 1 + ½ tablespoons of vegan chocolate chips and sprinkle the remainder on top of the dough.
- Microwave method: Microwave your vegan chocolate chip mug cookie for 40-50 seconds, but not more than 55 seconds. The sweet spot for my microwave was 45 seconds, but in the spirit of full disclosure, my microwave is so old it doesn’t have a turntable.
- Oven method (this results in a crispier cookie but takes quite a bit longer): Follow steps 1-6 using an oven-safe ramekin. Place in a 350 degree Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) oven and bake 14-20 minutes. The sweet spot (hah) for me was 18 minutes. It will be done when it has browned slightly around the edges and the top is matte and somewhat firm to the touch. It will take longer to cool before it is safe to eat.
- Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy! Serve your vegan chocolate chip mug cookie with a dollop of vegan vanilla ice cream to be extra fancy, if you like.
- Note 1: Just one little tablespoon of vegan butter is perfect here. You may substitute coconut oil. If you want an oil-free cookie: substitute 1 tablespoon mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce or nut butter of choice. Keep in mind this will yield a softer vegan mug cookie but still delicious.
- Note 2: The mix of the two sugars is important for the cookie texture and taste. I mention organic because (at least in the United States where I live), nonorganic sugar is sometimes filtered with animal bone char, making it not vegan. There are a few brands who do not do this. They will indicate vegan on the packaging in this case.
- Note 3: I prefer to use Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer in all my baking. It is fast, easy, very effective, and has no taste which makes it perfect for vegan baking. Your favorite egg replacer will work. Just use the equivalent of HALF of an egg. Please note that the only other egg replacer I tested was flax. I mixed ½ tablespoon ground flaxseed with 1 tablespoon water and let it gel in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. This works, but the overall cookie is a bit softer.
- Note 4: This recipe will work with all purpose gluten-free flour if needed. I have not tested any other flours so I don’t know how they would work. You’re welcome to experiment!
- Note 5: Does this really taste EXACTLY like a cookie? Nope. Nothing is better than a cookie baked in the oven. Thus the oven method yields a dessert that definitely tastes much more like a traditional cookie (it will just take closer to 20 minutes while the microwave version is super fast and takes 45 seconds... choose your own adventure!). However, this is a TON less work. It tastes a lot like a cookie that’s still super soft when it’s fresh from the oven. And yeah, it may taste a little like a vegan chocolate chip mug cake. That doesn’t make it any less delicious. Just different.
- Note 6: To double the recipe, spread the dough across two mugs otherwise the inside won’t cook. And don’t cook two mugs at once, otherwise they won’t heat evenly.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 seconds
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mug cookie, mug cake, vegan mug cookie