Perfectly crispy and golden brown, these Vegan Roasted Potatoes make the perfect side or snack. These potatoes are done in 30 minutes.
- 2 pounds potatoes (see note 1)
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, optional (see note 2 for oil-free)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme or rosemary (or any herbs/spices you like)
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare oven: If using the oven method, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius). If you won’t be using oil, line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper so the potatoes don’t stick.
- Prep potatoes: Start by washing and cutting your potatoes. If working with baby potatoes like we used, you can halve or quarter them. If working with regular potatoes (adult potatoes?), dice them in half inch cubes so that they cook in the 30 minutes indicated in the recipe. If you’re OK with them taking a bit longer to cook, you don’t need to cut them as small. Keep in mind that the smaller they are, the more likely they are to get crispy on the outside. The most important thing to do though is cut them all about the same size so all the potatoes are done at the same time.
- Season: Add the potatoes to a large bowl. Add the oil if using (if not, just add a tablespoon or two of water (if potatoes aren’t already wet) so the seasoning will stick) and use a large spoon or your hands to toss the potatoes so they’re well coated. Now add the minced garlic, dried herbs, and salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Oven method: Spread potatoes out on your baking tray in a single layer. Try not to let them crowd each other (the more crowded, less crispy they’ll get). Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned and crispy on the outside. You should flip the potatoes halfway through--rotate the tray before putting it back in the oven.
- Air fryer method: Add the potatoes to your air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry for about 18-25 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius). Shake the basket halfway through.
- Eat: Enjoy your delicious crispy roasted potatoes with a meal or just on their own.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 4 days. I recommend reheating in the oven or air fryer to get the crispiness back.
- Note 1: I used baby potatoes because they’re fast to cut up and especially tender, but any potatoes will work. I find that red or gold potatoes make the best vegan roasted potatoes, but you can use whatever you have.
- Note 2: Believe it or not, oil is not required to make delicious vegan roasted potatoes. However if you want nicely browned and crispy on the outside but tender on the inside, a little oil will go a long way. If you want to experiment with crispy potatoes with no oil, try either air frying your potatoes OR try parboiling them first (boil until almost done) then coat with spices and roast or air fry which seems to yield good results with no oil.
- Note 3: Garlic is optional but provides a lot of really good flavor. I recommend freshly minced garlic over jarred or powdered, and no I don’t care if that makes me a garlic snob.
- Note 4: I like to just use dried thyme or rosemary on my potatoes, but you can use whatever you like! Sometimes I mix onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika together for a different and delicious flavor on my potatoes. Use what you like!
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Roasted Potatoes, Roasted Garlic Potatoes, Side Dish