This super fast Vegan Shredded Chicken comes together in just 10 minutes with 4 pantry ingredients and is incredibly versatile.
- 1 - 20 oz (567g) can Young Jackfruit, drained and rinsed (see note 1)
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning (see note 2)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Rinse well: Whether your young jackfruit comes in a can or vacuum-sealed pack. Rinse it as well as you possibly can. You want to remove that briny flavor as much as possible (though the spices will help).
- Remove seeds: Remove all seeds you can see or feel (they are smooth, firm knobs) and discard. They are edible, but the texture isn’t very pleasant in my opinion.
- Towel method: Next, and trust me on this one, add your jackfruit to a clean kitchen towel (one that isn’t linty), close the edges so you have a ball, and rub it between your hands until all the triangular pieces of jackfruit are shredded. Remove the remaining seeds.
- Fork method: If you don’t want to do the towel idea, you can shred them in a bowl with a fork, but make sure to dry them on a paper towel so they’re not dripping.
- Second rinse (optional): If your jackfruit smells briny still (or you’re welcome to taste it, it’s not going to bite you), give it another thorough rinse and dry. You’ll be able to get it rinsed even better now that it’s shredded.
- Cook: Next, in a hot nonstick skillet (I love All-Clad Nonstick B1 Skillets as their coating is safe, non-toxic, and effective), add the jackfruit and cook over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Add spices and cook more: Now add the spices (add what’s indicated and whatever else you like if you know you’re using this for something else like taco meat), stir well, and cook for 2 minutes, undisturbed. Use a thin pancake spatula to help you flip them over and cook 2 more minutes, undisturbed.
- Serve: Serve immediately or let cool and store until ready to use.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Note 1: You’re looking for young jackfruit in a can (or vacuum sealed). This UNRIPE jackfruit is perfectly edible, and perfect for savory dishes since it isn’t sweet like the more mature jackfruit you’d find fresh. Do not use ripe jackfruit (it’s very sweet and fragrant when ripe). Canned jackfruit is available at Trader Joe’s, many health food stores, and online. You can also sometimes find it in Asian markets--I often find mine at H-Mart, a Korean supermarket with many locations.
- Note 2: Poultry seasoning can be found in the spice section of most grocery stores. It is an herb blend generally used on poultry, but it is vegan.
- Note 3: Truthfully I decided to develop this because I was craving vegan chicken salad and didn’t feel like putting in a lot of effort. This was perfect because it’s delicious AND quick AND easy.
- Category: Ingredient
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Oil-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Sugar-Free, Vegan Chicken, Vegan Shredded Chicken