Let's make vegan BLTs with this Vegan Tempeh Bacon recipe! Just steam, marinate it over night and bake and you're good to go!
Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, Nut-free
- 8 oz or 227 g of tempeh (I used Trader Joe's Tempeh)
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium tamari
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups (or more) vegetable broth
- Heat a large, rimmed skilled over medium high heat, add your tempeh, and cover with vegetable broth. Mine took about 2 cups to cover and I used a 12-inch skillet. Put on a lid and let cook for 20-22 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. Flip halfway through.
- Prepare your marinade by mixing it all together in a measuring cup or bowl, whisking until spices are dissolved. Then place tempeh in a container and pour on marinade. Flip tempeh so that both sides have been coated in the liquid. Cover and place in the fridge for 8 hours.
- When ready to bake tempeh, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place tempeh on a silicone mat or parchment lined baking tray in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Enjoy your bacon on anything from sandwiches (BLT!), with tofu scramble, crumbled up on a salad, or just eat most of it off the tray while standing in your kitchen in your pajamas. No judgement.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container up to 5 days. To retain crispy texture, wrap with a paper towel while refrigerating, then reheat in a toaster oven or air fryer.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Snack, Ingredient
- Cuisine: Vegan, Plant-based, Bacon, Vegan Bacon, vegan BLT
- Serving Size: 4 strips
- Calories: 139
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, Nut-free, Bacon, Tempeh