This Vegan Waldorf Salad is creamy, refreshing and perfectly balanced for a delicious side or entree. Made from grapes, apples, walnuts and optional celery.
- 12 oz greens of choice (we used butter lettuce and green leaf lettuce)
- 2 cups apples, diced
- 1.5 cups grapes, sliced
- 1.5 cups celery, chopped, optional
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 8 oz firm tofu (about 198g), drained not rinsed (see note 1)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (any will work)
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (to taste, or use sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt, optional
- The first thing to do to make this simple, satisfying salad (I like alliteration, OK?) is to cut up all your apples, celery, and grapes. I just slice my grapes in half. Give a rough chop to your walnuts too if they’re not already in pieces when you buy them. TIP: walnut pieces are cheaper than whole walnuts because it’s harder to extract the nut from the shell without breaking it, so they usually put a higher price on whole nuts. The same is true with other nuts, especially cashews which are very expensive.
- For the lettuce, wash and dry the leaves. I like to use a salad spinner for this. If you’re going to mix your greens into the salad, cut them or tear them into bite sized pieces. If not, line them around a bowl like I did.
- Make the dressing: add all dressing ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. If you’re going to just mix your greens in, add everything to one bowl and mix it all up and serve! You’re done!
- If you’re going that extra step to make it look pretty, mix the chopped ingredients and the dressing well in a separate bowl, then add that mixture carefully to your leaf lined bowl.
- Refrigerate the salad for up to 3 days in the fridge. The lettuce may wilt a bit. If you are making this in advance for an event, I’d make it no more than 12 hours in advance for best results.
- Note 1: I used firm tofu (I did not press it but I did drain the water out), but medium or soft would probably also work. If using something softer than firm, reduce the amount of non-dairy milk in the dressing and blend until you get a consistency you like.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Nut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Salads, Vegan Waldorf Salad