With this Gluten-Free Holiday Stuffing with Tempeh Sausage and Veggies recipe, you can make these holidays feel like home with the taste of cranberry.
Vegan, Oil-free, Gluten-free
Smoky Tempeh Sausage Crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C). Start by toasting your fennel seeds in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir frequently and toast about 2-3 minutes. Next add your tempeh with whatever leftover marinade is in the container + 1 cup vegetable broth + 1/2 cup of water. Cook on medium high heat, flipping every 4-5 minutes until most of liquid has thickened (about 15 minutes total).
- While the tempeh is cooking, start sauteing your onions and celery in a large pot, adding vegetable broth a few tablespoons at a time to keep it from sticking. Cook till onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Next add carrots and mushrooms and lower heat to a medium simmer. Let cook, stirring occasionally for about 8-10 minutes. While waiting, prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp with water. I like to stick it in the fridge for 5 minutes to gel.
- Add both the finished tempeh and sauteed vegetables (no need to discard liquid) to a large bowl. Next add your nutritional yeast, salt & pepper to taste, and flax egg and stir well.
- Add the fresh herbs, cranberries, and cubed dried bread and stir once more. Now pour the remaining vegetable broth and stir until all bread has been soaked in the broth. Add to a 9 x 13 rimmed baking dish and bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes. Top should be lightly browned and slightly crisp to the touch
- Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container up to 5 days. Recommend to reheat in toaster oven or oven for texture, but microwave is good too ;)
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan, Stuffing
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 248
Keywords: Vegan, Oil-free, Gluten-free, Stuffing, Holiday, Plant-based, Thanksgiving