My Hearty Lentil Vegetable Potato Stew will warm you up on a cold winter's day. With onions, tomatos, carrots and kale, this stew will fill you up!
Vegan, Oil-free, Soy-free, Nut-free, Gluten-free
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small-medium carrots, finely diced
- 3 ribs celery, finely diced
- 16 oz crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 pound potatoes (I used red), diced fairly small, about 1/2-inch dice
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch of kale, destemmed and chopped
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, picked over and rinsed well
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or more if you want a soup vs a stew)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper, optional, to taste
- Heat your pot over medium high heat and throw in the onions. Saute them, adding water 2 tablespoons at a time to keep them from sticking. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute another minute, then add celery and carrots. Let cook in a small amount of water (a few tablespoons) for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium, add the rest of your veggies, broth, and spices and cook for about 30 minutes total. However, set a timer for 27 minutes and test the potatoes to make sure they're done. If they are, add your kale and stir it in well. Cook an additional 3 minutes.
- That's it! Serve soup hot, or let cool and store or freeze. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Vegan, Stew
Keywords: Vegan, Oil-free, Soy-free, Nut-free, Gluten-free, Stew, Lentil Potato Stew