This 10 minute Quick Vegan Gravy is rich, savory, and the perfect topping for mains and sides. Easy enough to make on a weeknight.
- 2 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup reduced sodium gluten-free tamari (use soy sauce if not GF) (see note 1)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 - 4 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- Mix and heat: Add all of your ingredients except the water and arrowroot powder / cornstarch to a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Then take a whisk and mix everything together until the spices have dissolved and let it heat until it’s at a low boil.
- Mix again: Mix your arrowroot powder / cornstarch with the water and whisk it with a small whisk or a fork until all the powder has dissolved. Pour the mixture into the pot and use your big whisk to mix it again.
- Thicken: Turn the heat down to medium and mix it until the gravy has thickened. You may cook it on low for a little longer if desired. If it hasn’t thickened to your liking yet, you can always add more arrowroot powder cornstarch, just make sure you dissolve it in a few tablespoons of water first.
- Serve: Serve hot over seitan turkey, mashed potatoes, mushroom lentil loaf or whatever else you like.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container (I like to use mason jars) for up to 5 days. It will thicken a bit but will loosen somewhat when heated. If it gets too thick, just stir in a little water. You can also freeze this gravy in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Note 1: I used soy sauce to give this gravy a rich flavor. Can’t have gluten? Make sure to use gluten-free tamari. Can’t have soy? Use No-Soy or coconut aminos instead.
- Note 2: Another super savory element to this gravy? Nutritional yeast! And before you ask, no it doesn’t make it taste cheesy. Just delicious. If you don’t like nutritional yeast you can omit it, but it doesn’t have a strong nutritional yeast flavor in this recipe. It just adds another layer of flavor.
- Note 3: You can add a pinch of sugar or coconut sugar if you feel like it--I do that sometimes, depending on what I’m serving it with.
- Category: Ingredient
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Sugar-Free, Nut-Free, Can Be Soy-Free, Quick Vegan Gravy