This Vegan Cheesy Grits Breakfast Bowl with Crispy Chickpeas and garlicky collard greens couldn't be any more cozy and delicious.
Vegan, Oil-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Sugar-Free
- 2 cups white stone-ground grits
- 5-1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 batch vegan nut-free mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2-15 oz cans)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
Garlicky Collard Greens
- 1 bunch (about 4 cups chopped) collard greens
- 4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced or roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt (optional) and juice of 1 lemon
- Add water, salt, and grits to a large pot and bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat for 15 minutes.
- After you drain you chickpeas (while they're still wet is good), add them to a large bowl and sprinkle your spices on top. Give them a good mix.
- If baking, add them to a lined baking tray (I recommend silicone mats for crispiness), spread them out in a single layer, and bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius) for about 15 - 20 minutes depending on how crispy you like them. If airfrying, add them to your airfryer basket and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius) for about 10 - 12 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them.
- Make the cheese by blending the ingredients and cooking on the stove for a few minutes until it comes together (see cheese recipe for details).
- After the 15 minutes for the grits are up, stir it and put it back on medium heat. Cook for 10 more minutes, then add the vegan cheese and nondairy milk.
- Separate the collard stems from the leaves. Tear the leaves into bite size pieces and wash them Add some (or a lot if you're like me) chopped garlic to a saute pan over medium high heat. Put in a tablespoon or two of water if it starts to stick. Stir for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Now turn the heat down to medium and add your greens. Stir for a few minutes and add another few tablespoons of water. Place on a lid and let it wilt for about 4-5 minutes, checking and stirring (adding more water if necessary) every so often. When they are soft enough for your liking, remove from heat and finish off with a tiny pinch of salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Add some of the cheesy grits to the base of a bowl. Add as much greens and chickpeas as you would like. Enjoy!
- Note 1: To meal prep or for leftovers, make as large of a batch of the grits and chickpeas as you would like, but I'd leave the greens for each day. Luckily they only take about 5 minutes. I would also store the grits separately from the chickpeas.
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southern, American
Keywords: Vegan, Oil-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Sugar-Free, breakfast, grits, southern