Impress your guests at your next party with these Vegan + Gluten-Free Lentil Cheeseburger Sliders! Makes 20 sliders per batch! Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, Nut-free, Sugar-free
- 3.5 cups cooked green or brown lentils
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz crimini / baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium tamari
- 1.5 cups oat flour (or garbanzo bean flour)
- 3 flax eggs (3 tbsp ground flaxseed + 9 tbsp water)
- 3 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp salt
- First, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When it's hot, add the diced onions and let them get hot and lightly stick for a minute, then add a tablespoon of water to deglaze the pan and stir well.
- Continue the sticking, deglazing, and stirring process for about 4 minutes until the onions have lightly caramelized. Then add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute more. Next you'll add your diced mushrooms and continue to let them stick. At the first splash, instead of water, add the low sodium tamari. For a few more minutes, cook these down, adding just enough water to deglaze each time. Make sure there is no more liquid remaining before adding to the lentils (drain excess liquid if needed).
- While these are cooking, first prepare your 3 flax eggs by mixing 3 tbsp of ground flax with 9 tbsp of water in a small bowl and placing in the refrigerator to gel. Next, add the lentils to a large bowl and mash about half of them with a fork. It can be easier to mash the lentils if they're warm and a little overcooked.
- Let the mixture cool on the counter for just a few minutes. Mix it well, then add the rest of the ingredients: spices, flax eggs, and flour. Mix well again, using hands if you need to. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl too for any flour being mischievous.
- Your mixture needs to chill now to be easier to shape, so place it in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Make sure to preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or 218 degrees Celsius if using the oven method.
- Using a 3 tablespoon-sized large cookie scoop, scoop out the mixture into balls and flatten with your hands to a slider-sized patty about 1/2 inch thick. Place on your silicone mat or parchment lined baking pan, about 1/2 inch apart or more. If using air fryer method, set them 1/2 inch apart in the basket.
- If using oven method: Bake for 20 minutes, then flip, place on a slice of vegan cheese if using, then bake 10 more minutes.
- If using air fryer method: Cook for 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 205 degrees Celsius, then flip, place the vegan cheese, and cook 5 more minutes.
- Assemble your burgers with whichever buns, condiments, and veggies you desire. Secure with fancy toothpicks and serve, preferably with nacho fries.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Oven, Refrigerator
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, Nut-free, Sugar-free, Vegan Burgers, Sliders