Vegan BLT Pasta with Tempeh Bacon and Avocado, what did I do before I came up with you! BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato) sandwiches used to be my favorite sandwich--and they still are provided I use vegan bacon. My favorite vegan bacon happens to be my own recipe for tempeh bacon, not that I'm biased at all. ;)
But one night a few weeks ago I had a hankering for a BLT and I had all the ingredients--except for the bread. And it was snowing and cold out so I didn't want to run to the store.
So, necessity being the mother of invention, I created a new dish: BLT Pasta! Cooked noodles are tossed in my homemade healthy mayo (option of garlic pepper mayo if that's your thing), with added sweet grape/cherry tomatoes, iceberg lettuce for that crunch, smoky chewy tempeh bacon, and creamy avocado.
The result is a decadent yet healthy, luscious meal that's great for the whole family, a superbowl party, a potluck... Or just you (or me). I won't tell.
This is an incredibly simple recipe once you've got all the components ready. Let's get on with it, shall we?
How Do I Make It?
If you'd like to learn how to make the healthy, yummy bacon featured in this recipe, head on over to my tempeh bacon recipe. If you don't have the time to make it, you could substitute a commercial vegan bacon, like these from Lightlife Smart Bacon or Sweet Earth Benevolent Bacon.
After you have the tempeh bacon done, it's pretty simple to complete this dish.
Cook pasta according to the directions on the package--to make this recipe gluten-free, simply use gluten-free pasta! Then chop everything else: dice the avocado, slice the grape / cherry tomatoes (I sliced mine into thirds), and diced the lettuce into small pieces so it mixes well.
While pasta is cooking, make the mayo by adding all the ingredients for it to the blender. If you like garlic and black pepper, add those in, too.
After straining the cooked pasta, add it back into the pot or a large bowl. Pour in the entire batch of mayo and mix it well. Then add in the other ingredients, toss well, and enjoy!
As always, I hope you love this recipe! This pasta dish is:
- and EASY to make.
As always, let me know if you make this recipe and please tag #Zardyplants and mention me @Zardyplants so I can see your beautiful recreations! If you tag me on IG or Facebook, I will share your post in my stories :) With your permission, I might also include your photo on this site!
Follow me on Social Media!
Vegan BLT Pasta with Tempeh Bacon and Avocado
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 plates 1x
When you want a BLT but you're vegan (and don't want bread) there's my Vegan BLT Pasta with Tempeh Bacon and avocado for comfort food.
Vegan, Oil-free, Nut-free, Can be Gluten-free
- 16 oz pasta of choice (I used oriechette) (use GF pasta if needed)
- 2 cups diced or shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 1 batch tempeh bacon (or use 8 oz store-bought vegan bacon)
- 1 batch vegan mayo (or use 2 cups store-bought vegan mayo
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, blend up mayo if making, and slice vegetables. Chop or crumble the bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- Drain pasta and add back to pot or a large bowl. Stir mayo in well.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients. Enjoy!
- You may store leftovers in the fridge up to 5 days, but like most pasta, this tastes the best on the first day.
- If you don't have time to make the tempeh bacon, my favorite store-bought bacon choices are Lightlife Smart Bacon or Sweet Earth Benevolent Bacon.
- If you wish to use store-bought vegan mayo, I love Follow Your Heart Vegenaise, Just Mayo, or Sir Kensington's Fabanaise.
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove top, Blender
- Cuisine: Italian, American
- Serving Size: 1 plate
Keywords: Vegan, Oil-free, Nut-free, Pasta, BLT, BLT pasta
Leave a Reply